Monday, April 27, 2015

BPL: Professional Footballers' Association Award Caps Kane Campaign While Classy Hazard Lands Top PFA Award


(L) Harry Kane was voted the PFA Young Player of the Year, (R) Eden Hazard was voted the PFA Player of the Year

Tottenham striker Harry Kane capped an "unreal" season on Sunday evening when he landed the PFA Young Player of the Year award.

The 21-year-old, who has scored 30 goals across all competitions for Spurs this term despite not getting a regular starting slot until November, picked up the award in the ceremony at the Grosvenor Hotel in London.

He was also named in the Professional Footballers' Association's Premier League team of the year - the only English attacking player to make the XI - and was second only to Chelsea's Eden Hazard in voting for the main Player of the Year award.

Press Association report continues:
Kane came through the White Hart Lane club's youth ranks and was farmed out for loan stints at Leyton Orient, Millwall, Norwich and Leicester to gain first-team experience.

Meanwhile Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard was the toast of the English game on Sunday as he carried off the PFA Player of the Year award.

The 24-year-old Belgian has scored 18 goals across all competitions for his club this season, helping the Blues win the Capital One Cup and putting them on the brink of a first Premier League title since 2010.

He was rewarded for his sterling performances with the top individual award of the night at the Grosvenor Hotel in London. Tottenham striker Harry Kane won the Young Player of the Year award and was second in the voting for the top prize, with Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea third.

Victory in their next two games - at Leicester and at home to Crystal Palace - would see Chelsea wrap up the championship.

Hazard said of his award success: " I'm very happy. One day I want to be the best and what I did this season is play very well, Chelsea played very well.

"I don't know if I deserve to win but it is good for me.

"It is good, it is better to be voted by the players - they know everything about football. This is good. I'm very happy."

He took the Young Player of the Year prize 12 months ago, and has rapidly progressed to the top award.

"We are almost champions, maybe this is the key," said Hazard. " Last season we finished third and this season we have an opportunity to win the league. This has changed from last season.

"I continue like I did last season - I try to be the same. I try to score more goals than last season. Personally I have played a good season, I have been there in the big games and I scored a lot of important goals, this is why I'm better this season."

Hazard's goal last weekend earned Jose Mourinho's men a 1-0 win over Manchester United.

He picked out that moment as one of his best of the campaign.

Asked to describe his season in a single word, Hazard struggled "I don't want to say 'amazing' because it is not finished yet - maybe amazing!" he said.

No comments: