Monday, May 04, 2015

Mayweather To Surrender Titles


Mayweather poses with his welterweight belts - the one he was awarded for this latest victory is worth US$1m. Floyd Mayweather's record is now 48-0

Floyd Mayweather plans to surrender all five of his world titles after deciding the climax to his unbeaten career in September will be fought for prestige only.

Mayweather added Manny Pacquiao's WBO welterweight belt to the WBA and WBC straps he already holds when he conclusively outpointed the Filipino to seal his status as the finest boxer of his generation.

The 38-year-old also reigns at light-middleweight where he is the division's WBA and WBC champion, yet there will be no titles at stake when he completes his six-fight deal with Showtime and enters retirement later this year.

Press Association report continues:
Mayweather - who was handed a cheque for US$1million by his team after the fight - insists the decision to vacate is motivated by the desire to help others, although he would also save a considerable sum in sanctioning fees in the process.

"I decided backstage that will I will give them up. I don't know if that will happen on Monday or maybe a couple weeks," said Mayweather, who improved his record to 48-0.

"My last fight will still be a championship fight over 12 rounds, but there won't be any belts.

"I'll talk to my team and see what we need to do. Other fighters need a chance. Give other fighters a chance. I'm not greedy.

"I'm a world champion in two different weight classes. It's time to let other fighters fight for the belt."

Mayweather refused to discuss potential opponents for his final outing, demanding that he be given time to "enjoy my victory", and is adamant that he will not attempt to eclipse Rocky Marciano's 49-0 fabled record.

Viewing boxing as merely work and more comfortable discussing his material wealth than his exploits in the ring, the Atlanta Olympics bronze medallist insists he has no affection for the sport or desire to supplant Marciano in the history books.

"It's about working smarter, not harder. We believe in taking as few punches as possible," Mayweather said.

"I don't want to start taking abuse to my body when I'm almost 40. I want to have all my faculties. I invested my money extremely well, so I could retire from boxing today A-ok.

"Every fight played a major role in where I am today, not just one fight will define my career.

"This fight was extremely important to me. The ultimate goal was to make nine figures and that's what we did."
Mayweather's dominant performance, in which he picked off the advancing Pacquiao with jabs and straight right hands, has left little appetite for a rematch despite the Filipino's claims he had carried a shoulder injury into the fight.

No comments: