Sunday, June 28, 2015

Buhari: Ekweremadu As Saraki’s Deputy Unacceptable; I’ve No Deal With PDP, Ekweremadu, Says Saraki

President Muhammadu Buhari


•APC governors, state chairmen want Saraki, Dogara to accept party’s list on principal officers
•Ogbeh may head disciplinary committee
For President Muhammadu Buhari, the emergence of a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) member as deputy Senate President in the current dispensation is nothing short of a setback for his administration.
He is irked that some members of his own party, All Progressives Congress (APC), conceded the position to Ike Ekweremadu when the PDP never gave that much all through its 16 years in power between 1999 and last May.
But he is optimistic that the APC will overcome the setback.

The Nation report continues:
President Buhari made his feelings known at a meeting with a delegation of the   Unity Forum at the Aso Rock Villa on Friday night.
The forum is the group of senators backing Dr. Ahmed Lawan, the APC anointed candidate for the Senate Presidency.
Buhari, at the meeting, reportedly pleaded for the understanding of APC Senators as the party explores reconciliation options.
However, the majority of the APC governors and state chairmen of the party are insisting that Senate President Bukola Saraki and House of Reps Speaker Yakubu Dogara comply with the party’s directive on the choice of principal officers of the National Assembly.
The APC governors and state chairmen are encouraging the leadership of the party to enforce discipline to prevent it from collapsing.
Some party leaders, it was gathered, have proposed a former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Audu Ogbeh, as chairman of the APC Disciplinary Committee to look into allegations of anti-party activities against some members.
President Buhari at the Friday meeting was said to have said there was no reason for the party to be divided over who heads the National Assembly.
“The President gave us audience and admitted that the development in the Senate was a setback but he expressed confidence that APC will overcome it,” a source at the meeting said.
“He said there was no basis for the split among APC Senators which led to the concession of the Office of Deputy President of the Senate to the PDP. He said PDP did not give the opposition such an opportunity in its 16 years in power.
“Buhari told Lawan and others not to take the law into their hands as the leaders of the party explore reconciliation options. He said peace and the survival of the nation’s democracy should be paramount more than any other thing.”
Asked to assess the President’s mood at the session, the source added: “He was not happy about the development in the Senate but he was hopeful that the situation is redeemable if some leaders can sacrifice their ambitions for the survival of APC and his administration.”
Another source said: “The session was cordial and reassuring. The President interacted with us individually and even had time to crack jokes with us before we receded into the business of the day.
“As for the Lawan group, it was Senator Barnabas Gemade who spoke on behalf of the 51 aggrieved Senators.
“Gemade said the Unity Forum is after justice since its members have demonstrated their faith in APC leadership and having been loyal to the party to a fault.
“Gemade restated the six demands of the group and the need to prevail on Saraki and Dogara to abide by the directive of the party on the nominees for principal offices in the Senate and House of Representatives.”
The source quoted Gemade as saying: “When the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo called a meeting to address the looming challenge, it was only our group that responded; we were the only group which participated in the party’s straw poll and even on June 9, we deferred to the party’s invitation to a meeting at the International Conference Centre.
“Before anybody knew it, the Like Minds went for the inauguration of the Senate and elected Saraki.
“We have proved our unflinching loyalty to the party. This is the time for the party to assert itself and enforce discipline or else members will continue to take the leadership of the party for granted.”
Ahead of the meeting of the National Executive Committee of the APC on Tuesday, there were indications last night that the governors elected on the platform of the party and state chairmen are pushing for Dr. Saraki and Hon. Dogara to comply with the party’s directive on the choice of principal officers of the National Assembly.
They said they will no longer tolerate the defiance of the party by the two leaders.
A member of the NWC said: “We are expecting a stormy session on Tuesday. Saraki and Dogara will have to choose between loyalty to the party or self-serving agenda.
“The only condition for moving forward is for these leaders to accept the list sent to them by the National Chairman of APC, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun.
Those  recommended by the APC for Senate positions are Sen. Ahmed  Lawan(Majority Leader)—North-East; Prof. Sola Adeyeye( Chief Whip)—South-West; Sen. George Akume( Deputy Majority Leader)—North-Central; and Sen. Abu Ibrahim(Deputy Chief Whip)—North-West.
The party’s list for the 8th House of Representatives  is as follows:  Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila (House Leader)—South-West; Hon. Alhassan Ado Doguwa( Deputy House Leader)—North-West; Hon. M. T. Monguno( Chief Whip)—North-East; and Hon. Pally Iriase( Deputy Chief Whip)—South-South.
It was gathered that if Saraki and Dogara refused to respect the party’s list, APC may resort to sanctions.
It was learnt that some forces in the party are pushing for the appointment of a former National Chairman of PDP, Chief Audu Ogbeh as the head of the party’s Disciplinary Committee.
A top member of the party said: “There is no doubt that Ogbeh is well grounded in party politics and he is a disciplinarian.  We are thinking of him to assist in unraveling the anti-party activities in the Senate and the House.”

I’ve No Deal With PDP, Ekweremadu, Says Saraki


•Promises reconciliation with aggrieved senators, party leaders 
Senate President Bukola Saraki claimed yesterday that he had nothing to do with the re-emergence of Ike Ekweremadu as Deputy Senate President at the June 9 controversial election at the Upper Chamber.
Saraki, whose choice as Senate President went against the wish of his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), also denied receiving any message to attend a party meeting at the International Conference Centre (ICC) on the day.
He spoke at his maiden press conference in Abuja as Senate President.
He said that contrary to the insinuation in many quarters, he had no deal with Ekweremadu or the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Ekweremadu becoming deputy senate president.
All he did, according to him, was to reach out to all Senators to support his (Saraki’s) bid to head the Senate.
His words: “On the morning of the inauguration, I didn’t finish meeting until 4:00 of that day and I had got information that efforts would likely be made to make sure that I didn’t get access into the chambers.
“So, as early as 4:00am and 5:00am, I had made contingency plans that I must get into the National Assembly because the plan before was that Senators-elect should go to the Transcorp Hilton Hotel around 8:00clock and 9:00am to proceed to the National Assembly.
“But I was advised that it would not be safe or secure for me to do that because some people made sure that if I didn’t get into the chambers, it would not be possible for me to be nominated for the nomination to be seconded and for me to accept the nomination.
“I can tell you today that I was in the National Assembly Complex as early as 6:00 in the morning and I stayed in a car in the park from 6:00 in the morning till quarter to 10:00am.
“This is the truth. I stayed there and I was there with no communication whatsoever.
“So, anybody who said they spoke to me to go to the ICC, that is not true because I didn’t even know what was going on. All I was monitoring was how people were arriving at the complex.
“It was at quarter to 10:00 that I got information that the Clerk to the National Assembly had entered the chamber.
“So, I got out of the small car I was inside, stretched myself and put on my babariga because I didn’t have it on before then.
“I walked from the car park into the chamber. That was why some of you would have seen that I looked very tired on that morning.
“Even when I was in the chamber, I didn’t know what had transpired earlier on.
“The only thing I observed was that it appeared that some of our Senators were not in the chamber and the fact that my colleagues arrived in batches, I had the opinion that they were on their way and by 10:00am, the programme started.
“Before I knew it, my election had come and gone. Even my people were worried. It was only when I got into the chamber that they were relieved.”
On the alleged pact between him and PDP Senators to vote for him and then choose Ekwermadu as Deputy President of the Senate, Saraki said there was no such deal.
He blamed the re-election of  Ekweremadu to the position on the absence from the Senate chamber of greater majority of APC Senators.
“Never in our wildest imagination did we envisage that some Senators would not be present on the day of the inauguration,” he said.
“In my own view, and in the view of some of those who worked closely with me, I worked hard for my election.
“I had direct contact with every single Senator, one on one; weeks leading to the election. I did not rely on anybody. I worked hard both in our party, the APC, and out of it.
“I approached every Senator, I talked to them…we built confidence, not only in the APC, but also, in the PDP. I talked to them.
“That was why I laugh when people said I had a deal with Ekweremadu or I had a hand in the emergence of Ekweremadu.
“I didn’t need any deal to win. I had penetrated…There was no deal; I didn’t need any deal in the first place.
“I had worked hard such that everybody who was a Senator, I campaigned hard and canvassed for their votes and won their confidence.
“One of the meetings held at Transcorp Hilton, which Senator Godswill Akpabio co-chaired with Senator Ibrahim Gobir and a few others had both APC and PDP members in attendance.
“At that meeting, if you heard most of them there, the position they took was that ‘this is the Senate President they want.’
“Across party lines, they believe in me and that this is the Senate President that can lead us…there was no deal.
“Sometimes, I wonder how some of our colleagues found themselves at the ICC. If it had been a case of the Clerk of the National Assembly making an announcement that the event had been postponed or it was no longer holding… There was no invitation. I’m sure some are asking now: what really happened?”
Saraki also said that long before the June 9 election PDP Senators had made it clear that they would support him “without even meeting me because in their own meeting, majority had decided to vote for me.”
He added: “In their own interest, strategically, they decided that, look this is a fait accompli because 30 of their own Senators were going to vote for this man anyway and the remaining felt it was better to join.
“It wasn’t until 2:00am that they called us to tell us about their decision.
“With regards to the deputy, when they told us that they had a candidate, we, too, told them we had a candidate for Deputy Senate President in the person of Senator Ali Ndume.
“After our own meeting, it was our thinking that it was after the election of the Senate President that the two groups in APC would meet and we would agree on a candidate.
“We never in our imagination thought they would not turn up. By the time we got there, we were only 24 while the PDP Senators were more than 40.
“In an election, there is no way they would not have defeated us and that was what happened?
“Now, when people say it was a deal, I say that if the Clerk to the National Assembly had started the procedure in the House of Representatives first and moved to the Senate thereafter, today, we, the APC, would have had the  deputy Senate President.
“It is unfortunate that we have a PDP man as Deputy Senate President. It is painful. It is painful for any APC member because we went through the struggle. That was not what we signed for.
“But it has happened; but it is unfortunate and it is not fair to put the blame on one side because it is a combination of errors and miscalculations that led us to have what we have.
“So, to suggest that it was out of a desperate act to emerge is what I reject completely and those who followed the events would know that I didn’t have that deal to emerge.”
Asked about his relationship with the APC National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu he said: “he is one of the leaders of the party. We have great respect for him. Myself and him, we have worked very closely together on major issues in this party leading to this issue that were very important at different stages in the development of our party.
“In this matter, as much as I wanted to win his support, unfortunately I didn’t happen. It happens like that.
“I think at the end of the day we will look at the things we have done together that have gone well, many before now: three, four major issues.
“One is a setback but I don’t think that that in any way should be what should dictate the kind of relationship that we have. I believe that we are both responsible and committed to the project of the party and idea that we would overcome this and move forward.
“That’s our intention as part of the healing process too to be able to do that and it will happen.”
On the process of healing in the Senate, he said “The process of healing is going on. It is just two weeks after the election. It is normal after an election like this, for this kind of position that was fiercely contested, there will be sentiments, there will be emotions.
“If you can remember after the presidential primaries, for weeks there were huge sentiments and emotions. There are some people today who are now pretending that they love President Buhari more than us. They didn’t attend rallies, they sat in their houses. We were begging them.
“What I’m saying is that two weeks for me is short in a healing process. We need to give some time. Two weeks is too short.
“What I can assure you as somebody who has taken this position I will not stop until I see there is a full healing process, full reconciliation. Those that know me know that I’m a fair minded person. I will be fair to everybody because everybody too has contributed for us to get here.
“Things have happened unfortunately, it cannot be a winner takes all; everybody must be part of that process. We will get there. During this period of recess, by the time we come back, I believe that we will be able pretty much to get together as united APC family.
“I want my action to speak more than what I say. Let’s come in one month’s time. I’m confident that this will be a thing of the past. The issues before us when we were elected are greater than this.”
Saraki also said that the talk about 2019 presidential election makes him sad.
He said: “On 2019 aspiration, I hear a lot about this 2019 and honestly I feel very sad. I’m very, very sad that people are talking about 2019.” 

No comments: