Saturday, June 13, 2015

FOOTBALL: Rooney Patient As England's Greatest Goalscorer Record Approaches


Wayne Rooney, right, is three goals away from being England's greatest goalscorer

Wayne Rooney insists the pressure of being close to breaking Sir Bobby Charlton's record is not weighing heavy on his mind.

Rooney has another chance to equal Charlton's 49-goal record on Sunday when England face Slovenia in their final Euro 2016 qualifier of the season. The England captain had a good chance to move level with Gary Lineker on 48 goals last Sunday against the Republic of Ireland, but his touch let him down as he closed in goal. The 29-year-old also drew a blank in England's previous match in Italy, and even though he found the net in the 4-0 win over Lithuania three months ago, he wasted plenty of chances to reach the 50-mark that night too.

Press Association report continues:
But Rooney is sure he will break the record sooner or later, and is adamant he is not being affected by the fact that he is close to making history.

"It's not something I sit up thinking about at night," the England skipper said.

"I can't deny it's there for me to do, but I'd take the three points over scoring any goals tomorrow night."

The only thing that is bothering Rooney is the constant questioning over the matter.

"I'm fed up of this question," he said with a chuckle.

"It's there, I'm close to it. But the most important thing is the result and the team result.

"If that record comes with it, then great. If not, we'll hopefully still get the three points which is more important for me.

"When it happens, it happens. I've got a few years left playing for England, so I'm sure it'll happen at some stage. But it's not my biggest concern."

Equally, Rooney is not worried about a recent run of form that has seen him go seven matches without scoring.

"In my early days it probably would have worried me, but I'm not concerned," said the Manchester United forward, who has scored 21 goals in 46 matches this season.

"If I get the chances, more often than not I'll take them. That's one of those things in football. You have to put it to the back of your mind and focus on the next game."

Like Rooney, Raheem Sterling has endured a difficult end to the season.

The 20-year-old was heckled by Liverpool fans prior on the final day of the campaign after his contract dispute with the club turned ugly.

And in last week's 0-0 draw against the Republic of Ireland, the Londoner was booed by the home supporters every time he touched the ball.

Rooney has no doubt the player will be back to his best in Ljubljana on Sunday evening, when England will look to stretch their unbeaten run to 10 matches.

"I think as any footballer at some stage in your career they'll experience (booing),'' Rooney said.

"Raheem is a level-headed lad, a top quality player and I am sure he will give a good performance.

"He is a top-quality player and of course there is a lot of speculation around his future at the minute.
"But I am sure that is something himself and his management will have to deal with, certainly after the game tomorrow night. Hopefully whatever he chooses to do gets sorted out soon."

No comments: