Wednesday, September 30, 2015

'I Am Also Important'— Zama Ngema; South African Woman Refuses To Move For VIPS During Ramaphosa's Address


Zama Ngema, who was told to move to the back of the hall where Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa was speaking. (Amanda Khoza, News24)

When an ANC official told Zama Ngema, 58, to move to the back of the Pietermaritzburg City Hall because she was occupying a seat reserved for VIPS, she made sure to kick up a fuss. "I am also important, why must I sit at the back,” she said, adding that she had borrowed R11 just so that she could see Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa speak during his address on Tuesday.

Livid, Ngema, from ward 19 in Mbali township, wiped away tears as she protested the move.

She was seated in the second row where she could get a clear view of Ramaphosa and was one of about 1,500 people.

News24 report continues:

"They told me that this row was reserved for members of the provincial and national executive. I didn’t come here to sit at the back where I won’t be able to see him. I have been in the ANC since I was in high school and now I am not important.

"When they need my vote, they think I am important. We are the ones who elected these people, we are the ones that vote for them.

"I am hurt," she said.

Ngema made a point of sitting through the estimated hour address without budging.

Ramaphosa was speaking at a Freedom Charter Forum at the Pietermaritzburg City Hall on issues of the economy and Economic Freedom in Our Lifetime.


No comments: