Tuesday, August 15, 2017

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: TEN KINGS, TEN ERAS (A Message To People In Power At The Moment)

Martin Firrell public art text for the Paul Hamlyn Foundation performance of Tosca - The Royal Opera House London 2007
THIS POST IS NOT SPONSORED AND PUBLISHED WITHOUT POLITICAL AFFILIATIONS!

By Saint-Olawale Jimoh
This article is not intended to bring anybody's name to disrepute, especially my subject who is a former lawmaker in Ogun State, rather it's meant to re-orientate those in power at the moment who think they'll reign forever. The incident that prompted this piece sticks so vividly to mind as if it happened yesterday and I'm more compelled to share it because I know there are lessons to be learnt.


In life, we are made for others. Nothing in nature lives for itself. River doesn't drink its own water; trees don't eat their own fruits, the sun shines for the earth and flowers don't spread fragrance for themselves. Living for others is a divine arrangement and therein lies the secret of successful living. The responsibility becomes higher when уσυ are occupying an elective position. But over the years, the reverse has always been the case for man. I know a good number of exceptionally gifted young ones out there who lost traction because the privileged persons who God put around them failed to offer helping hands when needed.

In 2007, I obtained Ogun State Civil Service (OGSCSC) Employment form and upon returning the properly filled form, the woman at the desk called me aside and hinted that except I attached a letter or note from a prominent politician or any important person who is relevant to the ruling government, my form will be left untreated and eventually discarded like thousands of others.

When I shared my experience after arriving home it was suggested I visit the only State House of Assembly member from my constituency. Under the scorching sun of that Thursday afternoon, I arrived at his hometown and I was shown his place, a sprawling edifice. The security at the gate told me Honourable only came home on weekends and that I needed to file an appointment first. If my request to see him is considered and approved then I will be given an appointment date. I filled the necessary papers and determined to check back in two days time. I arrived the second time only to be told at the gate Honourable has not started attending to the pending appointment requests and my case was even different because I only applied two days ago. I told the security my reason for wanting to see him and how urgent it was but he told me he was following instruction, so I kept calm. For about five weeks, I was always present at his place but the security told same story. Yet, he was the best person I needed for the task considering the fact that he had just been made the Deputy Speaker.

Few days after, the OGSCSC Employment interviews were conducted and I attended, though uninvited. Nothing happened thereafter and I wasn't expecting any miracle because I was never even invited.

Weeks after, at the old HAT Cybercafe, opposite Ijebu-Ode Central Mosque, I bumped into an old friend who claimed he has the Honourable's link. What he had was only the e-mail address and I gladly took it. It wasn't useful anymore, but I needed to get in touch with him and let him realised how unkind he had been to the people he's representing. I poured out my mind in the mail I sent him. Of course, I didn't get any response from him and I wasn't expecting any.

In 2015, something happened. Shortly before the last general election, myself, Comrade Olalekan Adeleye, AfricaWee Tunde, Da Silva, Comrade Kayode Okeowo (Ikenga), Mr Jamiu Olododo, Gbobaniyi Femi Davies and few others were in a meeting with Otunba Gbenga Daniel (OGD), the immediate former Governor of Ogun State at his Sagamu residence, suddenly, a lady walked-in to inform OGD that a visitor was standing outside at the corridor, waiting to see him. His name was mentioned and it turned out to be the Honourable I begged to see because of recommendation letter many years ago. The lady went back to inform him OGD was in the middle of an important meeting and that he could wait if he wanted. We spent about two hours after the message came and as we dispersed from the meeting into the corridor, I found the man still waiting. He looked terrified and exhausted. He was simply the image of former self. I didn't have information about what he came for, but it was obvious he needed help. I never imagined he could hang around the corridor for that hours and I reckoned it would shock him to discover we were the reason he waited outside. Fact is, he wasn't relevant anymore. At first, I wanted to go introduce myself to him and remind him of his sins but I realised it would be uncalled-for to add to his problem. As I journeyed back home that evening, I pondered on the days one had to fill forms to see this man. Nobody reigns forever and that's why ten eras is for ten kings and as our people in the Northern Nigeria would put it, "Seriki Ngoma, Sanmani Ngoma!"

As received, with compliments!

No comments: