Saturday, August 22, 2015

Ugandan Children's Book Tackles Sexual Abuse


BBC

An illustrated children's book about sexual abuse was launched in Uganda yesterday. It's a fictional story which teaches children how to recognise and reject sexual abuse. BBC reports the Ugandan author of the book, Lillian Butele Kelle said she was abused by a family friend from the age of seven.
"As a victim of child sexual abuse myself I have used the pain that I have endured all my life towards something positive and empower children to not have to go through the same things that I did," she told me.

She says the book is meant to be read out loud to children by their parents.

Though not openly talked about traditionally, child sex abuse is increasingly getting attention here.
Most of the cases before Ugandan courts involve accusations of defilement - when an adult abuses a child.

No comments: