Monday, November 23, 2015

Ghana's Mahama To Run For Second Term


Ghana's governing party has voted overwhelming to endorse President John Mahama's bid for a second term in elections due next year. About 95% of members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) party backed his candidacy in primary elections held on Saturday and Sunday, AFP news agency reports.

Mr Mahama thanked those who voted for him and defended his record in power, despite economic growth slowing, public debt spiralling and the national cedi currency depreciating, it reports.

"As a leader of the party, I believe not all members are pleased with some of my decisions," he said, describing the last three years as a "challenge".
But he added: "I feel humbled by the overwhelming endorsement I have received from the NDC and I accept the responsibility to lead the party to victory in 2016."

No comments: