Thursday, August 28, 2014

UEFA Boss, Platini Will Not Challenge Blatter For FIFA Presidency


Michel Platini has decided to remain in charge of UEFA

Michel Platini has ruled out standing against Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency and will instead run for re-election as UEFA president, Press Association reports.

The 59-year-old Frenchman told UEFA delegates in Monaco that he had decided against standing for the FIFA post as he wants to continue his work as head of European football's ruling body.

Platini's announcement was confirmed by delegates after the meeting.

European FIFA executive committee member Michel D'Hooghe told Press Association Sport: "It was a very positive message - he said he would like to continue as UEFA president and I am pleased that it means that this time there will be no battle between FIFA and UEFA."

Platini told a news conference in Monaco he felt he should stay with UEFA.

He said: "Now is not my time, not yet. I want to complete what I have started and I want to go to the end of my contract with UEFA and if the federations wish I will still have a few years before this contract comes to an end.

"I have thought long and hard but I never managed to convince myself that I had to go to FIFA.

"I chose from the heart and on the basis of my passionate feeling."
FIFA Headquarters, Zurich (Photo creidt: http://www.football-new.com/index.htm)

Platini said he would not only strongly defend the number of World Cup places Europe receive, he would argue for them to be increased from 13 to 15 for the next tournament in Russia in 2018 as the current world champions are from Europe.

He said: "Whether it is the number of places given to European teams at the World Cup, defending the sovereignty of the European associations, the international match calendar or solidarity revenue: European football knows that it can count on me to be at the forefront on these issues.
"Because what matters here is not me or my feelings. What matters is the future of UEFA, and of football. UEFA and European football have never been as strong and powerful as they are today and I have every intention of guarding this supremacy."

No comments: