Sunday, September 06, 2015

Roger Federer Christens His Trick Return The 'SABR'


Roger Federer beat Philipp Kohlschreiber to reach the last 16 of the US Open

Roger Federer has branded his new special move "SABR" - the sneak attack by Roger. The new shot was invented by the 17-time major champion in Cincinnati last month where he charged his opponent's serve and hit half-volley returns from the edge of the service line. The audacious move proved a hit with Federer and fans alike, with the Swiss continuing to unleash his latest weapon in tournaments ever since.

Federer eased into the US Open fourth round on Friday with a 6-3 6-4 6-4 win over Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber and after the match announced a name for his new stroke.

"We sort of came up with that name, sneak attack by Roger, SABR," Federer said. "I don't know. Call it 'Fed-Attack', call it whatever you want, but I thought it was kind of funny.

The Press Association report continues:

"Today again it worked a couple of times. I didn't get that many second serves when I thought I could use it, but moving forward it's an option."

Federer first tried the shot in Cincinnati while practising with Frenchman Benoit Paire and it was the Swiss' coach Severin Luthi who encouraged him to try it in matches.

"At the end of practice we were just kidding around almost," Federer said.

"I said, 'Okay, I'm going to chip and charge and just keep the points short. I'm tired. I want to get off the court soon anyway.'

"That's when I started to run in and hit returns. I hit a couple for a winner. They were ridiculous.

"He laughed, I laughed, Severin laughed. Then I did it again in the next practice just to see if it actually would still work again. Then I tried it the next practice and it still worked.

"That's when Severin said, 'Well, what about using it in a match?' I was like, 'Really?'

"So he pushed me to keep using it and not shy away from using it in big moments."

Federer's mystery return will undergo a stiff examination against John Isner in the last 16 at Flushing Meadows.

The American, who progressed after Czech Jiri Vesely pulled out, has won a higher percentage of first serve points than any other player in the tournament.

"The idea is not to use it very much against a player like that," Federer said.

"I have done pretty well over the years against big servers, so clearly I will think about it, but I don't think that's going to be the turning point of the match."

Wimbledon semi-finalist Richard Gasquet is also through to the fourth round after he beat Australia's Bernard Tomic in straight sets.

The Frenchman will now face sixth seed Tomas Berdych, who took four sets to overcome Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.

The surprise of the day saw American Donald Young fight back from two sets down to beat Serbia's 22nd seed Viktor Troicki 4-6 0-6 7-6 (7/3) 6-2 6-4.

It is the second time this tournament the 26-year-old had battled back from the brink and he will now play fifth seed Stan Wawrinka for a place in the last eight.
Third seed Andy Murray sealed progress with a straight-sets win over Thomaz Bellucci and the Scot will face big-serving South African Kevin Anderson, who knocked out Austrian Dominic Thiem.

No comments: